EU Settlement Scheme

Why you may need to apply for Settled Status?

With steps underway to leave the EU, if you are an EU citizen you and your family will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue to live, work and study in the United Kingdom after the 30th June 2021.  Without Settled Status you may not be entitled to :

  • Public services, such as healthcare and schools;
  • Public funds and pensions;
  • British Citizenship, if you want to apply to meet the requirements.

Who is eligible to apply ?

  • You will need to apply if you are an EU citizen or a non-EU family member of an EU citizen, this includes those with a UK permanent residence document.
  • You do not need to apply if you have indefinite leave to remain or enter, or you are an Irish citizen, although you can if you wish too.
  • You need to be resident in the UK by the 31st December 2020.
  • If you have been a resident in the UK for five continuous years or more you will be eligible for settled status.
  • If you have been a resident for less than five continuous years you will be eligible for pre-settled status.
  • You must not be a serious or persistent criminal, a threat to national security, or have a deportation order against you.

How do you apply?

The EU Settlement Scheme is open and you have until the 30th June 2021 to apply. Step by step instruction on how to apply can be found here:

How does the process work?

You will need to apply online and have the following information to complete your application :

  • Proof of identity (passport or national identity card)
  • Proof of residence (National Insurance Number)
  • Criminality Check (Declarations of any criminal convictions)

Once you have completed your application you will be notified electronically of your status through the online service, your family members who are from outside the EU will receive a biometric residence card if you do not already have one.

It is important that you complete the application as soon as possible to ensure you are eligible.  Please note that applications are taking longer than normal due to the current COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak.

Please contact us if you need assistance

Should you require any assistance please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Housing Team. You'll find our contact details below:

Due to Coronavirus our offices are closed to the public. But we are still working for you during our opening hours.


Berwickshire Housing Association
55 Newtown Street
TD11 3AU
Phone #1 01361 884000

Opening Hours

  • Monday

    8:45 am - 5:00 pm

  • Tuesday

    8:45 am - 5:00 pm

  • Wednesday

    10:30 am - 5:00 pm

  • Thursday

    8:45 am - 5:00 pm

  • Friday

    8:45 am - 4:00 pm

  • Saturday


  • Sunday


* Due to the Cornavirus our offices are closed to the public. However our staff will still be avaliable to contact by phone during the opening hours above.

Our Citizens Advice Bureau can offer additional support

There is also additional support available from the Citizens Advice Bureau our local branch is located in Peebles. Their telephone number is: 01721 721722 (please note they are experiencing a large number of calls at the moment, they request that you leave your contact details for them to call back).  You can also e-mail them at: